Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Remembering - Part I

I really enjoy watching all the pictures scroll by from yesterday's post.

However, I realized that I didn't have any pictures of someone placing their faith in Christ. Nor of someone inviting the Holy Spirit to fill them, or laying down an idol and confessing sin. While it's partly because I either wouldn't be packing my camera when these things were happening or didn't feel it appropriate to take a picture at the time, it has much to do with the definite limitations in photography being able to capture spiritual realities. Photos do a great job of illustrating community and the friendships that form when we are on mission together, but often need the thousand words to adequately bring to life the stories and transformations that led to the moment captured on screen - or what followed.

From WSU Cru in the 2000's

This picture was taken in the fall of 2002. We'd gather Tuesdays at noon on top of the WSU library (while it was still warm enough to be outside!) and share prayer concerns and requests, then spend time praying together. As I look at this picture, a couple things jump out to me. A big one is that I see how much our movement of prayer grew at WSU through the years. We always believed prayer would be the foundation necessary to reach the campus, and as our prayer meetings grew, so did our impact on the campus.

The other thing that strikes me is Liz, the girl in the center of the picture. Two years previous, she had come to Christ at WSU through another girl on her soccer team. Four and a half years later, she would loose her life when she was hit by a car. In between, she left a mark that showed others noticed the mark Christ had left on her.

"...we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal." - II Corinthians 4:18

No comments:

Post a Comment